The Nigerian Student in Ghana.(1)



Hi, I actually could not come up with a more intelligent title for this series of write ups, but that's not a bad title is it?? Nahh.

I'm a Nigerian student in Ghana, technically, I'm a Ghanaian because my mom is a Ghanaian and by law (or whatever big big grammer), I'm a Ghanaian, right now I'm doing what is called the wrong thing at the wrong time, reason being that I'll be having exam on the 3rd of next month being November (I'm still praying and believing God that they'll shift it. *cries for a while*). I'm supposed to be reading right now but I'm actually really angry and I'm not sure that's the best emotion to read with, I bet I won't be able to understand anything I read until I've actually expressed myself. I'm going to try my best not to swear in this write up, I actually won't because I'm typing, but if I were to actually tell you orally, I'll definitely do.

 Now, before I go on, the following write up might convey the message that Ghanaians are bad, that's not what I'm trying to say for obvious reasons being;
1. My mom is a Ghanaian (like I explained before).
2. I actually know a lot of very nice Ghanaians (that's a lie, I know only few and all of them are either my relations or my sister's friends, that's cause I don't make friends easily).

 I came to Ghana in 2014, that's not exactly my first time in Ghana but the last time I was here that was around 2006 or thereabout when I came for my grandma's burial. To tell you the truth, I actually really LOVED Ghana, I couldn't wait to come back, now I'm schooling here, I can't wait to go back to my country, don't get it twisted, Ghana is a really nice place to come and visit, spend a week or two and go back to wherever you're coming from, you'll actually feel like you've just visited heaven, yes, its that good. When you're living here especially as a foreigner, ESPECIALLY AS A NIGERIAN, it's a different ball game bruhh, a very different game. You just sit in Nigeria and complain that Nigeria is bad, Nigeria is this, Nigeria is that, you have no idea brother!!!!!!!

 The first thing I observed, you know that special treatment we give foreigners is Nigeria, you know when you meet someone randomly and they say they're from another country, that way we make them feel so special (if you're a Nigerian you get the picture)?? Very little of that exists here, I'll have said "none of that exists here" but you can't exactly make a generalization from your little experiences. That's even a minor issue for me cause I don't even really socialize so...

 The next big bad wolf here is the economy, now in Nigeria (when I say "In Nigeria, I mostly mean Port Harcourt, cause that's where I stay, however I've been to several states and things aren't really different) as a student that wants to cut my coat according to my cloth, I can actually spend only N500 a day. In Ghana, you CAN'T live on 10 cedis a day as a student (I used that fast approximate conversion we students use here, it's like take half of the money in cedis and add two zero's to it for the naira value, it's far from accurate). Wait, seriously at SPAR in Port Harcout I can actually see a movie for N500, which cinema in Accra do you want to see a movie for 10 cedis??? Are you the one that acted the movie?? Is your father the owner of the cinema?? Its not even possible to start with. I'm talking extremely little things that we underrate in Nigeria, wait, you think I'm joking, I've bought egg for 1cedi before, if someone sells egg for you N50 you won't crack the shell, you'll open it carefully cause there must be diamond inside, I swear, since I knew how to buy stuff when I was around 5 years old, the price of egg has been N30, these chickens have been loyal bruhh, if you buy egg N50 you'll probably frame it and hang it on the wall in your living room, but unfortunately in Ghana here we eat it. What do you expect us to do? Hatch it? Nahh bruhhh. Talk about satchet water, *lol*, I actually use a water dispenser cause i had to form for long but [in thick Ghanaian accent] "Charlie, it be forming wey go kill me", bruh, I really couldn't keep up so sometimes when I run out of dispenser water I switch to the cheaper alternative - satchet water (as we call it "pure water"), pure water is actually 3.8 cedis where I stay (I stay at North Ridge, that's actually a classic area, seriously) that's a whooping N150+, agree or not, that amount is whooping. I could write a 300 page book on the price irregularities in Ghana, but I'll save more for subsequent posts.

 The next thing I hate here is the complete lack of empathy. I know not less than 6 friends that have been robbed at the famous "circle" in Ghana and all of them have something very similar and striking when naratting their ordeal - people were passing by when they got robbed, I mean passing by when they had knives to their torso and had to give up everything valuable on them. In Nigeria, you can't try that bro, rob somebody with just a knife where people are passing by?? You're going to get beaten and (if help doesn't come your way FAST!!!) you'll get burnt, we care that much. I'm not talking about in the night either, in talking about around 6/7 pm, although as a result of the weather in Ghana, 6/7 is really dark, but hell yea, even at that, it's crazy.

 The final thing I'll talk about on this post is the weather. Damn, Ghana is hot!!!!! You think sun shines in Nigeria?? You got it all wrong, I think Ghana shines in Nigeria, it's that bad. I have a feeling if my friend Shammah Nathaniel stands and raises his hand in Ghana, he might brush the tip of the sun a little bit, you want us to make the first sun trip? Send a Ghanaian astronaut cause he practically grew up in it.

I think I'm a little bit more calm now, I can continue my reading, stay tuned and subscribe to this blog for more posts about real Nigerian life in Ghana, drop your comments and enquiries in the comment field. Lemme go and read abeg.


You unfortunately can't get a chance to donate to my education but you can share and drop your valuable comments which i appreciate.

0 comments:

Post a Comment

I love your comments, yes You!!! It motivates me to blog harder. Don't hesitate to leave your comment anytime ,whenever you visit here.

Disclaimer: All comments on shamzy.com are that of the readers and not Shamzy's and do not express our (Shamzy's) view(s). Readers are liable for their comments. However, if you want me to put down a post, you can mail me to that effect, should in case you want to use the comments against me, remember we aren't laymen.
For inquiries /tip-offs: nathaniel.shammah@gmail.com
instagram :shammahn
twitter : shammahn